Sing, sound, and speak your truth with more confidence and freedom!
The voice is the primary means of communication in human beings. Our voice is an expression of who we are and how we feel. In the tones of a person’s voice you can hear the subtle music of feeling and thought. By transforming and enhancing the way we sound, we transform and enhance the way we perceive our self, and this influences the way others perceive us. By extending the breadth, depth, strength, flexibility and fluidity of the vocal range, you can draw out the full imaginative spectrum of the psyche in sound.
Since 2011, I have helped free thousands of people’s voices through my eclectic Free Your Voice private and group classes. Private sessions and 10-week group courses consist of half sounding practices including sound meditations, expressive arts, drama, improv, play, and community building exercises and half singing practices from around the world. From the sacred to the silly, open in ways you’ve never imagined and make long-lasting shifts in your life. Highly transformational!
I believe everyone can sing. Before words, we expressed our emotions through our songs which consisted of sounds such as cooing, babbling, gibberish, crying, laughing, etc. I enjoy acting as a singing partner who can sing with you, share your load, harmonize, reverberate and echo your feelings.
I practice voice work in a number of ways with my clients:
- Develop vocal skill including proper breathing techniques, support, opening the throat, projection
- Sing on pitch
- Work on the health of your vocal cords
- Release muscular tension in neck, throat and body while singing
- Find a vocal range that is optimal for your health
- Open your body and chakras through sound meditations
- Learn spirit songs from various world traditions
- Tune your instrument, your body! Become more embodied
- Express many aspects of yourselves through voice
- Give voice to grief
- Give vent to rage through shouts and yells
- Create your own songs
- Vocal coaching
- Prepare for presentations & performances
- Gain clarity doing expressive arts practices with movement, sounding & improv
- Develop insights through drama therapy and voice work
- Free your creativity and joy!
I love to work with people who want to change, grow, and make big shifts in their lives. I have had to work through a lot of trauma around my voice, adoption, gender, sexuality, and sex as well as general feelings of not belonging and not wanting to be in this body. I have learned many invaluable somatic, healing, and creative tools that I would love to share with you. If you want a coach, guide, healer and friend on your path of transformation, then I would like to work with you.
For students who prefer a more traditional singing instructor, we will: 1. Tune your instrument (scales, warmups, being on pitch, extending the range). 2. Play your instrument (sing songs, work on phrasing, dynamics, vibrato, etc.) 3. Express your soul’s song (connect in with your intention/emotional connection as you sing). We can play with harmonies, song coaching, and creating your own songs.
For those who want a more therapeutic/expressive arts voice facilitator, I use a combination of methods that might include creative movement, somatic practices, and sounding to help you transform emotionally and somatically.
I also love to work with yogis to teach mantra, devotional chants, how to sing and play harmonium, and more.
We can see what you’re looking for and what methods/modalities resonate with you in each individualized session. I look forward to being a guide and playmate on your transformative voice journey!
Private sessions are $100/hour in my Albany studio. Special buy 6 sessions for $550 and save $50. $120 for house calls in SF. Skype sessions are also available for $100/hour if you don’t live in the Bay Area.
2018 Group Classes:
Jan 8 – Mar 12
Free Your Voice: 5:45 to 7:15pm
Drumming and Voice (Rhythm Weave): 7:15 to 8:45pm
Safehouse ARTS, 1 Grove St, Market and 8th at Civic Center BART
Mar 18 – May 20
Free Your Voice: 5-6:30pm
Free Your Harmony: 6:30 to 8pm
Maru Dojo, 736 14th St., Church and Market, SF
Oct 14 – Dec 16
Free Your Voice: 5-6:30pm
Free Your Chakras: 6:30-8pm
Maru Dojo, 736 14th St. at Church and Market
Terra’s Temple, 3051 Adeline at Ashby BART:
Jan 11 – Mar 15
Free Your Chakras: 6-7:30pm
Free Your Voice while Drumming A: 7:30-9pm
Mar 22 – May 24
Free Your Voice: 6-7:30pm
Free Your Voice while Drumming B: 7:30-9pm
Oct 4 – Dec 13, Nov 22 off
Free Your Harmony: 6-7:30pm
Rhythm Weave: 7:30-9pm
The 10-week program costs $333 early bird by 1/4, $360 regular. Payment plans available. A couple sliding scale spots for queer POC activists and artists.
FREE YOUR VOICE SERIES DESCRIPTIONS:
- Free Your Voice: Initiation is open to all levels including those who are shy, have never sung, feel they can’t sing, have trauma around their voices as well as professional singers and those who love singing and sounding. We create a safe space for everyone in the room to take their voice to the next place. The focus is to free your voice and express yourself without any judgment, inner or outer! Toning, chanting, song, expressive arts, drama, lots of play and improv.
- Free Your Harmony is for people who want to learn songs in 4 part harmony and sing on pitch. This course focuses on songs in the oral tradition from the African diaspora, spirituals, gospel, and civil rights songs and includes expressive arts and drama therapy activities that look at you in relation to others.
- Free Your Chakras: Sound & Song explores the Indian chakra (energy) system and includes different sounding practices to open and balance them. We will practice toning, movement with sound, Indian devotional chanting and mantra, spirituals and Civil Rights songs in 4-part harmony, drama therapy, expressive arts, improv, play and community sharing exercises. We will examine the psychological aspects of each chakra and your particular stories with each one.
- Foundation Flow: Free Your Voice while Drumming is open to all levels including those without drumming experience. You learn 4 rhythms (2/4, 4/4, 4/4/ and 6/8) from the Middle East and West Africa and 4 different songs and how to sing and drum at the same time. I teach a Middle Eastern style of trance drumming where you learn a basic rhythm (open) and how to fill it (closed). This class gives you a great foundation in drumming and how to accompany yourself vocally. It also includes space for improv, play, and freeing your drum and voice! Drum recommendations are djembe, doumbek, cajon or Arabic tambourine.
- Rhythm Weave: Free Your Voice while Drumming is open to people who want to explore polyrhythms and learning and playing 1 rhythm in a room full of different rhythms (works the ear and focus!) We focus on West African rhythms and sing songs in 3 part harmony from the oral tradition. We also do a lot of freeform playing and expression and community building exercises as we unleash our creativity. Suitable for all levels, including beginners.
“Amber Field’s Free Your Voice Workshop was absolutely astounding. She is incredibly skilled at quietly creating a safe space and gently encouraging people to explore and find their truth, then openly express it. So many times at the end of the class people would voice their delight at being given the space to “play” which, as adults with busy lives, we rarely have. Whether you are a professional singer or have never sung a note in your life you will benefit from this workshop. Sign up NOW!!! You won’t regret it. “–Colleen Browne, group student
“You totally freed and empowered my voice. I am now able to sing not only with my voice but with my heart and energy. You taught me that!”
— Lana Radivojevik, Fou Fou Ha troupe member, group student
“Amber’s truly creative and inspired in her work. If you’d like to explore healing and creativity with a collaborative and skilled partner, give her services a try. I’m so glad I did, and I feel great today!” —Kristy Billuni, The Sexy Grammarian, private student
“Amber leads you through a supportive, fun, creative process that will not only improve your singing but also will change your life.”–Lisa H, private and group student
“Amber’s class is one of my favorite things I’ve done for myself as an adult. Throughout the ten-week Free Your Voice course, I learned how to be more honest, creative and vulnerable. But mostly it was just *so* much fun.”--Hanna J., group student
“This has helped me outside of class and beyond singing as well…speaking in public, negotiating at work, relating to new and old friends”–Racheli W., private and group student
“Amber held a beautiful, safe, no judgement space for everyone to grow, learn, heal, sing, play, laugh & even cry”–Valerie C, group student
“In ten weeks I feel like I got ten years worth of talk therapy and musical training combined.”–Michael F, group student
Check out other yelp reviews: https://www.yelp.com/biz/amber-field-music-san-francisco